Route: Mordialloc to Melbourne CBD (ITT)
Stage 16 of the 2014 Tour of Australia is the first and only individual time trial of the race with the riders taking to Melbourne’s most popular cycling route, Beach Road.
The stage starts at Mordialloc, probably the most popular turnaround point for cyclists coming from the city end of Beach Road. Following Beach Road northwest the riders pass through the waterside suburbs of Beaumaris, Sandringham Bright and St. Kilda.
From St. Kilda the riders follow Beaconsfield Parade and Beach Street to Port Melbourne where they head inland then back east on the approach to the CBD. Heading up Williamstown Road and Normanby Road in the closing kilometres of the stage, the riders then head down Queensbridge Street and finish on Queensbridge Square on the banks of the Yarra River.
The stage profile above might look pretty spiky but bear the y-axis in mind. While there are a few short rises along Beach Road, it’s generally very flat, rewarding the big, strong, powerful riders. This is a stage that suits the pure time-triallists, the likes of Tony Martin and Fabian Cancellara.
The general classification riders will be in the mix on this stage but don’t expect them to win it — this is no mountain time trial.
Fans of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour will recognise the location of today’s stage finish — it’s the same place the prologue for this year’s Sun Tour finished.
The third and final rest day in the 2014 Tour of Australia will be taken after stage 16.
- Tour of Australia 2014: an introduction
- Stage 1: Gold Coast TTT
- Stage 2: Currumbin to Cape Byron
- Stage 3: Nimbin to Grafton
- Stage 4: Grafton to Inverell
- Stage 5: Tamworth to Siding Springs
- Stage 6: Dubbo to Mt. Panorama (Bathurst)
- Stage 7: Bathurst to Cootamundra
- Stage 8: Cootamundra to Tumbarumba
- Stage 9: Tumbarumba to Thredbo
- Stage 10: Khancoban to Mt. Beauty
- Stage 11: Mitta Mitta to Mt. Hotham
- Stage 12: Bright to Wangaratta
- Stage 13: Wangaratta to Mt. Buller
- Stage 14: Mansfield to Mt. Donna Buang
- Stage 15: Warburton to Arthurs Seat